Friday, September 13, 2013

Pinteresting Recipes: Making a Box Cake Bakery Fresh!

Well, it's that time again.. I saw an idea on Pinterest, things happened, blah blah blah Long story short I heard "how to make a boxed cake taste like it came from a bakery" and I thought, "Yes Please!"
"Did anyone ever try this trick on how to make boxed cake taste like it came from a bakery? Step 1: Look at the directions on the cake mix Step 2: Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich) Step 3: Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount Step 4: Instead of water, use milk. Step 5: Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box."

 So my Final Cake Recipe included:
4 eggs (I decided to start out adding 1 extra extra egg, you know, to aviod being too unhealthy (you know because the 11 TBSP of butter wasn't unhealthy at all)
1 cup 1% milk
11 tbs butter (Don't judge me!)
1 Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate cake mix

After a Brief consultation with my husband on the baking isle we decided on a dark chocolate cherry cake. So into the basket went the mix, some Duncan Hines Chocolate Whipped Frosting, and Duncan Hines Comstock Cherry filling (More Fruit). The Cake would be a multilayer chocolate cake with cherries between the layers and iced with chocolate. So I prayed, and then mixed up the batter. Despite the extra liquids, the batter was thick. I think I could have easily got that last egg in there (I was concerned about it being too thin but it was not).

While baking, this cake smelled AMAZING. I admit, I forgot to reduce the cook time on the cakes since they were more thin. That being said, the edges were a bit crispier than I would have liked. The center seemed good. Also, I know the picture is on an angle. The bottom pan is not significantly bigger than the top, the picture just makes it look like a snowman.

 At this point I would like to give a shout-out to my best friend when baking: Pam Baking Spray. Best Invention Ever. Both cakes came right out of the pans with zero trouble.

Once the layers were done and cooled, assembly began. I spread a rim of chocolate, filled the layer with cherries, and added another layer. Finally the entire thing was iced and it was serving time. The good thing is, the cake was beautiful... the bad news is that the nice ingredients did not add much to the cake.. in fact I think it was a step backwards. The flavor wasn't improved and it was nothing like what I would consider a "bakery style" cake. That being said, save yourself the milk, egg, and 11 tbsp of butter and just follow the box. Now here are some pictures of the process:




 

So, Will replacing the water and oil with milk butter and an extra egg make your cake an amazing bakery confection?
Verdict: No




1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, Karen Velkey here. Go to Duncan Hines website. There is a recipe there (a chart really) for making cakes that you want to tier. It reduces almost all of the oil, changes the water amount, etc. I use this exclusively when I decorate cakes for people. They always complement me on how the cakes taste, how moist they are, etc. I have one friend in particular who refuses to believe it is from a box. May be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete