- Chemical Drain cleaner has mixed results, and ranges between 3 and 6 dollars a bottle.
- I've used products like the Turbo Snake before which runs about $4 and they work well, but $4 for 2 uses was a bit steep for me.
- I am working on a rather fixed budget at the end of the month.

A plastic, disposable drain snake like product, and for about 3 bucks you could buy 1. The product made sense to me, little hooks, little wires, all of which grab hair, but I needed a cheap option. On the left is a similar product to the one I found:
As I stood, trying to make the choice between expensive chemicals, or expensive plastic, it finally hit me... "It's just plastic." So I walked to the hardware section and picked up a 5 pack of 24" cable ties (heavy duty) for about $2.50. The plan? Make that expensive drain cleaning plastic thingy. So I gathered up a few materials:
- 1 - 24" (60.9cm) Cable Tie
- Fairly sharp pair of Scissors
(no flat kiddie scissors here, need to be sharp) - A Pair of Slip Join Pliers
- Old Key Ring (optional)
So with materials in hand we begin:
- Loop the Cable tie as if you are securing something. Pull the loop almost to the top, leaving room for a few fingers (or a hand) to fit in the loop
- Make small cuts in the plastic (angled away from the loop). The loop will be the handle, the opposite end goes in the drain. The image, right, shows some of my cuts. The loop would be at the top of the image, near the scissors. Do NOT cut over halfway through the tie or the tie might break. Stagger the cuts so two cuts aren't side by side.
- Once you've made cuts up the majority of the tie, it is ready to use. Time to get the slip joint pliers. Use these to remove the plug from the bath tub (check your drain, it may be different than mine) by gripping the nob (with nob locked so the tub would hold water) and turn left to loosen.
- Once removed gently feed the zip tie down the drain. Feel free to jiggle it a bit to grip the most hair.
- When pulling it out, go slow and gentle to avoid spatter or the loop locking on your hand
- You can use it for 1-2 drains depending on the severity of the clog (more clog = less uses), but these ARE meant to be disposable... I wouldn't really suggest trying to reuse it.
- Remember the slip look CAN tighten, and if it tightens around your fingers this could be problematic.
If concerned, loop an old key chain in the tie during Step 1 and use the metal ring to pull. - If the tie gets stuck, try wiggling, pushing it back downward, or changing your angle.
Use sheer force at your own discretion and remember to avoid the loop locking on your hand. - I can't emphasize enough to be careful of the loop, it is helpful but it is still a Cable Tie aka Zip Tie and is meant to tighten and LOCK so it doesn't come open easily.
- Be aware, the stuff you are about to pull out of your drain is gross, and stinks. It is essentially rotting hair and all the crap you washed down the drain. Might wanna light a candle.
No comments:
Post a Comment