Well, I am now officially married and settling into married life. I loved being in Virginia again for a while and getting to see my friends and family. Now I am back in FL catching up with Dog Liberator, resuming school, and getting the house in working order.
It's been nice to see that some of the furry little face that were in our rescue when I left are now relaxing in their forever homes. Unfortunately the summer is an incredibly slow time for rescue. I am assuming this is due to: family vacations/travel, more time off-line due to the kids being out of school, and finally, and probably most profound, the heat. Why anyone would want to walk a dog in this weather is beyond me. Heck, even the dogs want to be inside. Due to these and other factors, our adoptions are low, but still at 13+ this month. Because dogs aren't going out, that also means dogs aren't coming in to the rescue either, so no transports.
Sense I haven't had any transports I have been hunting down shelters, looking at all the little furry friends, and trying to make connections where I can. Additionally, I am scanning Craigslist for anyone I can help and flagging posts which are prohibited. Specifically those about dogs.
I'm back in school knocking out two more classes and waiting to knock out a third as soon as the teacher is available. One problem, my books have gone poof. Yea... about sending those books. Could they get here already??? This is the second time books have come late or gone missing and it's not even the same seller. I may just have to bite the price bullet and buy amazing direct so I actually get my books in a timely fashion.
To make use of the time where I'm not doing paperwork or schoolwork I've begun reorganizing the house and EVERYTHING in it. Kitchen sink? Check! Bathroom closet? Check! Dresser? Check! Tom's clothes? Check!
I even made a couponing book out of a binder, some baseball card sheets, and a few dividers. Now they are all neat and organized and I can easily see what I have. I think organization has become a stress reducer for me. It has tangible results which I always like the outcome of. Perfect! This almost makes up for the fact that the post office lost a month's worth of mail and basically said "Wow that sucks! Oh, but don't expect us to do anything or have any way of finding it... k?" Grr
I have also taken up the "fine art" (HA!) of citrus juicing and have learned to make some killer lemonade and OJ. Maybe I'll hit up the farmers market next Saturday and see if they have any cheap citrus. We've been having several new adventures lately: Trying new restaurants (nothing worthy of reporting yet...), stopping randomly at stores we might like, and exploring the Amazon Village, a store which was portrayed as an assortment of stores. We went into it expecting something like an indoor strip mall, instead, it's kinda like a flea market where instead of tents they have a 10 ft wall around a table with a glass door. In the center was a beautiful Koi pond, which was absolutely the highlight of the trip. We left laughing and saying "well at least now we know!"
Even though we don't have the summer off, it still somehow feels like summer. Maybe it's that I'm not working or maybe it is the nightly thunderstorms passing over, but at least there is some reprieve. Now you'll have to excuse me, I've just noticed 10 notebooks on the couch which need a new place in the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment