Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pinteresting Recipes: Mini Pasta, Sausage & Cheese Frittatas

  Mini Pasta, Sausage & Cheese Frittatas


Because we cooked way too much pasta. Yep, that;s why i tried this one, cause I screwed up a meal about a week ago. So, why the heck not right? Yet again, this recipe is from Our Blissfully Delicious Life; I know I am totally obsessed but that lady has some killer ideas. I didn't technically have the exact ingredients she called for so I picked out some "close enough" ingredients (original recipe in Verdict section).  So here's the recipe I came up with:


Ingredients:
6 Eggs
1 1/2- 2 cups Cooked Pasta (or left over) (I had plain cooked penne, chopped them and it worked fine)
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup Shredded Cheese (I used  chedder)
1/2 a small white Onion, chopped (when I say small i mean size of a pool ball)
1 Cup summer sausage chopped into small cubes (it was precooked, if yours is not, cook it.)
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, break the eggs.  Add the milk & whisk.
I used leftover plain cooked pasta but you could use sauced pasta instead.  If you use a long pasta like this fettuccine, you need to cut it up.  If you are using a smaller pasta like elbow noodles you can leave them whole.
Add the chopped onion, pasta, shredded cheese, & meat to the egg mixture.  Season with salt & pepper; stir to combine.
Spoon evenly into muffin tins filling about 2/3s of the way.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until set.
Allow the frittatas to cool a few minutes in the tins before removing.  Enjoy!
 This recipe makes 12 mini frittatas.


Warning:
I didn't run into any "oops that could have been dangerous" moments with this recipe. I guess on principle, watch your knife work.

Speed bumps:
 I failed to measure my pasta and had to add and extra 2 eggs and about a tbsp of milk so I didn't have solids piled out the top. Measure your ingredients.

I sprayed the pan with Pam cooking spray, I still had a little trouble getting them out of the pan, next time I am trying baking spray (with flour) to see if it is easier. If they get stuck use a dull knife or a very flat spoon to go around the edge of the frittatas and gently wedge them out.

Verdict: Yum
These make a great on the go breakfast, a filling snack, or a nice dish for Breakfast-for-supper. After I got them out of the pan I threw them in some plastic Tupperware and put them in the fridge. I found that heating 2 of them in the microwave for about 1 minute is plenty of time to get a nice warm breakfast. 

I will be making them again, they made life far too easy to not make them again. As stated, the most difficult part was getting them out of the pan and cleaning the pan after they were done (it wasn't that hard, just needed a plastic scrubber and it was fine).

This recipe is versatile and really if you have any type of meat you can substitute it in (cooked steak, sausage, chorizo, bacon, cubed ham, slized ham or lunch meat,  a chopped up slim-jim, you pick!). The Original Recipe called for bacon and green onions but I didn't have that so I substituted white onion and summer sausage cubes (it was the first meat I found in the fridge, classy right?)

 All in all I had a good time with this one. If you are a fan of Frittatas (or quiche) give this recipe a try!



The batch made with Pam Baking spray.


Update! - Second Batch
  • I made the second batch with exact measurements and edited the recipe to match.
  • In the second batch the past used was thin spaghetti, worked a bit better than the penne. 
  • Most importantly, I used Pam Baking Spay with Flour. Man what a difference. I still had to run a knife around the edge of each Frittata but they came up much easier. I highly suggest using it when making these. Check out the image on the right. Clean edges, nice and slightly golden, and the pan has very little on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment